Friday, April 14, 2017

The newest con artist on the block

I'm still feeling pretty angry over an episode that happened earlier today. I was out with my mum for a leisurely stroll around the neighbourhood and she was approached by an individual who possessed certain characteristics that evoked pity.

At first, said individual offered some "products" to her, citing that it is for "charity." According to the individual, these products are "free"; the recipient is given the freedom to decide whether they would want to give a token amount to said individual.

Despite my mum's reluctance, said individual forced the products on my mum's hands. My mum tried to return the products but said individual physically withdrew from us. Following which, the individual followed us for some distance, before insisting my mum to pay.

Lo and behold! The individual pointed out that there is a price tag on the product, My mum then paid to avoid any unnecessary drama.

Coincidentally, said individual was walking in the same direction as us. We observed as said individual goes for the next kill.

This time, it was more aggressive. While crossing the road, said individual approached a lady from behind, grabbed her arm, and dumped the products between her bag and her body. As the products were no longer in said individual's hands, payment was asked............in the name of "charity." Disoriented, the lady paid. Mind you, this happened in the middle of the road.

I was furious. We began thinking of ways to protect ourselves if we are that unfortunate to meet such individuals in the future. Here are some of our thoughts:

First, we realized that ladies with multiple bags/handbags are vulnerable. Since ladies are struggling with multiple bags/handbags + shopping bags, it makes it all the more easier for such individuals to shove and wedge the products somewhere on them. Case in point, the product was expertly shoved and wedged between that particular lady's forearm and torso. As the product is "now yours", you'll have to pay.

Second. Want to return the product? Said individual has already increased the physical distance from you. Put it somewhere nearby to demonstrate disinterest? Don't forget that they possess certain characteristics that evoked pity. Unless you want to become the next social media sensation, pay up or you will be discriminated as a bully.

Third. Always remember that if a stranger approaches you, consciously remind yourself not to ever extend your hand to them. This is a natural reflex, I think, when people present you with something. No hands, no products shoved on it.

Fourth. Call police? Then got drama liao. You will be looked upon as a meanie by passerbys.

Fifth. Walk fast. On my own, I'm a naturally fast walker, so I tend to speed away from strangers soliciting my attention (e.g. insurance agents, etc.) This doesn't work if you are out with family and friends.

Sixth. Have a dao face like Unintelligent Nerd. On my own, people rarely approach me. Natural protection LOL!

Readers, Stay safe!

11 comments:

  1. Suggestion : Next time, just put them on the ground and walk off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fenix for the win!

      No confrontational; yet firm in sending a message - you can't touch me ;)

      Delete
    2. Hi Fenix and SMOL,

      Thanks for your suggestion. I'm more concerned about any potential blowback from such individuals as they could perceive a non-response as a sign of not understanding their plight.

      Haiz, like what I told my mum. If she had not taken the product after persistent pushing from said individual, all this would not have happened.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing. Need to let my mum know so she would not become the next victim.

    Which neighbourhood is this BTW ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris,

      You're welcome. Shall drop you an e-mail as to the neighbourhood.

      Delete
  3. Hi UN,

    If they did it to me, I'll just walk off with the product in my bag. Let them chase after me lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi LP,

      Wah you best! Later follow you home then you know :P

      Delete
  4. Had my first encounter similar to this in London near Big Ben. A flower pin for 20 pounds. Sigh. And I doubt it was for charity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lizardo,

      Oh well. We all learn and become better at protecting ourselves from such scams.

      Delete
  5. the saddest thing about such encounters is that it makes us doubt those who have genuine good intentions. Last Christmas I was on holiday with the family in Germany when an old man came up to us (we were seated outside a cafe in a mall) and asked my kids to take a pick from a bag of soft toys. Naturally my wife and I immediately tried to reject the man's offer and insisted that we didnt want any toys. However, a German patron at the cafe then spoke to the man, and told us (in English) that it was ol - it turns out the man didnt have a family of his own, and was going around distributing stuffed toys to any kids he came across! We ended up thanking the man profusely, even offering to donate some money so he could buy more toys (he refused politely) and it was one of the highlights of our holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Serendib,

      Thanks for your sharing. It is heartening to hear about your experience. :)

      Delete